Ceremony of the International Order of Saint George, The Martyr in Warsaw with the participation of Knights of Malta (KMFAP)

Charles Robert (Caroberto, 1288-1342), King of Hungary from the House of Anjou-Naples founded the first secular order of the era on the 26th April 1326 in Visegrád. The successor organisation of the Order, The Order of Saint George, the Martyr is situated in Poland (Łódź) and held its 10th Ceremony of Investiture on the 23rd May 2015, for the second time in the capital city of Warsaw, in the Cathedral of the Polish Army.

Dames and Knights in large numbers gathered in the beautiful church, arriving from across the territory of Poland and from many countries.

The ceremony started with the Holy Mass, which was celebrated by the Spiritual Protector of the Order, H.E. Ph.D. Władysław Ziółek, Archbishop Senior.

H.E. Hon. Ltg. Chev. Tadeusz Kaczor – Grand Master of the Order of Saint George, the Martyr and H.E. Ph.D. Paweł Michalak – Grand Prior of Poland knighted 13 postulants from different regions of Poland, who took an oath of fidelity and obedience to the Grand Master, and then the newly inaugurated knights and dames accepted the insignia of the Order – the mantle and cross of Saint George.


44 members of the (70 persons) Children’s Choir of the Grand Theatre and Opera of Łódź (Teatr Wielki w Lodzi) arrived to the ceremony in order to make the experience of this investiture unforgettable for the participants and guests with their beautiful, and professional musical program.

Among others, Knight János Sárközi – Slovakian Grand Prior and Sir András Czapáry-Martincsevics – Chief Historian of the Order of Saint George, the Martyr were present at the Ceremony of Investiture.

Traditionally, the Sovereign Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, Knights of Malta, Federation of the Autonomous Priories (KMFAP) was also represented this time at the event of its friendly order by Lady Anna Popper, who is member of the Order of Saint George, the Martyr as well.

Beside the knights and dames of the Order, who were promoted higher ranks, Lady Anna Popper received the Grand Cross Dame, while Sir András Czapáry-Martincsevics got the Grand Cross Knight medals and awards in recognition of their active work.

During the ceremony the Distinguished Service Medal of the National Guard was handed over to H.E. Tadeusz Kaczor – Honorary lieutenant general of the Hungarian National Guard, and to H.E. Paweł Michalak – Honorary major general of the Hungarian National Guard accompanied by the praising words of Sir András Czapáry-Martincsevics.

At the end of the investiture a large-scale ceremonial luncheon was hosted for the participants and guests at the assembly hall of the Polish Military Ordinariate.


10th July 2015